Network attributes are associated with attributes on features in your network. They are derived from feature attributes and cached inside the network topology to aid in performance while feature attributes are evaluated during a trace. The values stored as attributes for features on a map are reflected or updated in the associated network attribute each time you validate the network topology.
To work with network attributes, they must first be created using the Add Network Attribute tool. You can then assign network attributes to a field in a network feature class using the Set Network Attribute tool.
Before you add a network attribute, the following requirements must be met:
Add a network attribute
To add a network attribute to the trace network, complete the following steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and select the Add Network Attribute tool.
- For the Input Trace Network parameter, specify a trace network.
- For the Attribute Name parameter, specify a name for the network attribute.
- For the Attribute Type parameter, choose the data type of the network attribute. If you create the network attribute without the Nullable option enabled, it can only be assigned to fields that share the same constraint for null values.
- Short—Small integer
- Long—Large integer
- Double—Double precision
- Click Run.