When you enable a network topology, it is updated to reflect the state of the network at that point in time. As you edit or modify portions of the network, they become out of date in the network topology and are marked with dirty areas. The dirty areas indicate that the content you see on a map does not reflect what is stored in the network topology. It is important to keep the network topology updated for analytic events. You do this by validating the network topology.
You can validate the network topology using the Validate command on the Trace Network tab or by executing the Validate Network Topology geoprocessing tool. For longer-running validate operations, use the Validate Network Topology tool.
The following requirements must be met to validate a network topology:
The network topology must be enabled.
- For optimal performance when validating a network topology, it is important that you keep the spatial index up to date for network feature classes. After creating a trace network and appending new features, rebuild the spatial indexes using the Rebuild Indexes geoprocessing tool.
Use the Validate command
To use the Validate command on the ribbon to validate your network topology, follow these steps:
- Ensure that the trace network is added to an active map.
This enables the Trace Network tab.
- Click the Trace Network tab.
- In the Network Topology group, click the Validate command.
- Use the drop-down arrow on the Validate command to access the extent to validate options.
- Current Extent—Validate the network topology for the part of the network shown in the current extent of the active map.
- Entire Extent—Validate the network topology for the entire trace network.
A temporary notification appears, indicating the status of the validation.
The Validate command can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar at the top of the ribbon for easy access. Right-click the Validate button on the ribbon and click Add to Quick Access Toolbar.
Use the Validate Network Topology geoprocessing tool
To use the Validate Network Topology tool to validate your network topology, follow these steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and select Validate Network Topology.
- For the Input Trace Network parameter, specify a trace network.
- For the Extent parameter, choose an option from the drop-down menu.
- Click Run.