Structural attachment association rules constrain which types of features or objects can be attached to another feature or object (structure). Structural attachment rules can be added to a utility network using the Add Rule tool. They can also be added in bulk using the Import Rules tool.
These rules are evaluated during the call to add associations (similar to junction-junction connectivity rules) and do not support terminals. If there is no rule to support the association, an error is returned. If modifications are made to the asset group and asset type attributes for a feature or object participating in a structural attachment association, edits are evaluated against the existing rule base during enable or validate network topology operations.
To learn more about structural attachments, see Associations.
Network rules are stored at the utility network level. This allows you to attach features or objects from different domain networks to the same structure network feature, for example, a transformer and a telephone cable on the same pole.
The rule base for a utility network can be viewed in the network properties.
To create a structural attachment association rule, the following requirements must be met:
- The network topology must be disabled.
- The structure features must have the structure association role assigned to allow other features to be attached.
- When working with an enterprise geodatabase, ensure the following:
Create a structural attachment association rule
To create a structural attachment association rule, complete the following steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and click Add Rule.
- For the Input Utility Network parameter, choose the utility network receiving the rule.
- From the Rule Type drop-down list, choose Structural attachment.
- For the From Table parameter, choose the structure feature class or table.
- For the From Asset Group parameter, choose the asset group.
- For the From Asset Type parameter, choose the asset type.
- For the To Table parameter, choose the attachment feature class or table.
- For the To Asset Group parameter, choose the asset group.
- For the To Asset Type parameter, choose the asset type.
- Click Run.
A structural attachment association rule is added to your utility network's rule set. To reflect this change in the utility network, enable the network topology.
When working with an enterprise geodatabase, network rules are managed through a database connection to the default branch version. The utility network service should be stopped before you add or delete a network rule. Changes are acknowledged after the service and ArcGIS Pro session have been restarted. Updates to the utility network rules are not reflected in existing named versions until a reconcile operation is performed.