The Annotation tool contains a selection tool and leader line commands to select an annotation feature and add or delete a leader line. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane.
When you add or delete a leader line, consider the following:
- Adding a leader line creates a two point line that is anchored to the nearest selection boundary handle.
- You can move the first vertex of the leader line or the annotation feature to stretch the line.
- The Delete Leader command is available when a selected annotation feature contains a leader line.
To add or delete a leader line, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Modify in the Features group.
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Click the Annotation tool .
To find the tool, expand Alignment, or type Anno in the Search text box.
- To prevent unintended rotation or scaling, uncheck the Enable rotate and resize check box.
- Click the Select an annotation feature tool and select an annotation feature.
If you select more than one feature, reselect the feature. Alternatively, click the feature in the pane selection view to flash it in the map, right-click, and click Only Select This .
The text is enclosed in a selection box.
- Right-click the text and click Add Leader .
A two point is automatically placed at the bottom center of the selection boundary handle with both vertices coincident.
- Hover the pointer over the coincident vertices.
- When the pointer changes to the directional cursor , drag the vertex to the new location.
Alternatively, drag the text when the pointer changes to the move cursor.
The first vertex is automatically selected and the last vertex automatically snaps to the nearest selection boundary handle.
- To delete the leader line, right-click the text, and click Delete Leader .
- To finish the feature, click Finish on the annotation editing toolbar, or press F2.