The Parallel command constrains the pointer parallel to another feature as you draw a segment. You can right-click the feature to which you are constraining a segment, or hover over the feature and press P.
To constrain a segment parallel to another feature, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon, click the Edit tab. In the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears.
- In the Create Features pane, click a polyline or polygon feature template, and click the Line tool or Polygon tool .
- Click the map to create at least one vertex.
Alternatively, right-click, click Absolute X,Y,Z , and type the coordinate location.
- Hover over the feature geometry to which you are constraining the segment and press P, or right-click and click Parallel .
To remove the constraint, press Esc.
The pointer is constrained parallel to the feature.
- Click the map to create a second vertex and complete the segment.
- Continue adding segments, or click Finish on the construction toolbar, or press F2.