A key benefit of 3D objects is the ability to exchange and co-author them with other industry professionals using different 3D editing platforms. The reference geometry can be replicated in multiple 3D formats and edited directly in a 3D Objects folder on your file system.
The following sections outline a basic workflow for editing 3D object model files outside of ArcGIS Pro.
- Windows 10 build number 1809 or higher
- Windows Projected Files System enabled
- ArcGIS Pro open and running while accessing, updating, or replacing the 3D model file
- Knowledge of the feature layer name and the object ID (OID)
- A 3rd party application installed and licensed.
Enable Windows Projected File System
Turn on the Windows Projected File System to enable the virtual 3D Objects folder where 3D object files are opened and edited using a 3rd party editing application.
- In the Windows task bar, click the Search command, and type turn features.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Check Windows Projected File System.
- Click OK.
Open the project
Open the project to show the 3D object in the 3D Objects folder on your file system. If the 3D objects does not appear in the folder, add the 3D format to the feature that your 3rd party application requires.
ArcGIS Pro must remain open while accessing, updating, or replacing the 3D model file.
- Start ArcGIS Pro and open the project containing the 3D object feature you want to edit using the 3rd party application.
This shows the virtual 3D Objects folder in File Explorer.
- Using File Explorer, navigate to the subfolder and confirm the 3D object exists in the 3D format your 3rd party application requires.
The file can be found in the folder with the ArcGIS Pro layer name and Object ID.
Use the Attributes pane to identify the layer name and object id.
- If the 3D format does not appear in the folder, add the 3D format to the feature.
This replicates the feature in the windows 3D Objects folder.
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools .
- In the search box, type add 3d and click Add 3D Formats To Multipatch.
- Click the Input Feature arrow and choose the multipatch feature layer you want to replicate in the 3D Objects folder.
- Check the 3D formats you intend to edit with the 3rd party application.
- Click Run .
Edit the 3D model file in place
Start your 3rd party application and navigate to the subfolder with the same ArcGIS Pro layer name and Object ID. After making your edits, save the file in the same location with the same name.
Alternatively, you can copy the 3D model file to another location, edit the 3D object using a 3rd party application, and then replace the file in the originating 3D Objects folder with the same file name.
- Start the 3rd party application and navigate to the subfolder with the ArcGIS Pro layer name and Object ID.
- To open the file directly in the folder, right-click the file, click Open with, and click the 3rd party editing application name. If the editing application is already open, drag the file into application.
- Edit the 3D object.
- Save the 3D model file in the same location with the same name.