The Reshape tool reshapes line and polygon feature boundaries to follow new geometry you draw across them. Feature attributes are preserved. You can edit selected features or use the tool without selections. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane.
When you use this tool, consider the following:
- Multiple features on all editable layers that touch or cross the new geometry are reshaped. To avoid unexpected results, specify which layers can be edited in the Contents pane, on the List By Editing tab .
- New vertices for z-aware features are assigned z-values based on the current elevation settings on the ribbon Edit tab in the Elevation group. Existing z-values are preserved.
- To reshape line features, the new geometry must cross or touch the feature in two or more places. To reshape a line feature with a single intersection, check the Reshape with single intersection check box. When this setting is enabled, the side with the shortest length from the intersection is trimmed.
To reshape a feature, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon, click the Edit tab and click Modify in the Features group.
To open the Modify Features pane and run the tool in a single step, click the Tools gallery drop-down arrow on the ribbon Edit tab and click Reshape in the Reshape section.
Running this tool from the Tools gallery uses the tool method and settings last used since the application was opened. If the tool is run for the first time, the default tool method is used. Tool settings such as allowing the tool to run without a selection are saved with the project.
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Click Reshape .
To find the tool, expand Reshape, or type Reshape in the Search text box.
The Select tool automatically runs.
- To choose from two or more possible results when selecting and reshaping a single polygon feature, check the Choose result on finish check box.
When you finish your edits, hover over the part you want to keep and click it when dashed lines appear along its perimeter.
If this setting is not checked, the tool keeps the shape containing the largest area.
- Select the line and polygon features you are reshaping.
To refine the selection in the pane's selection tree, right-click a feature and click Unselect or Only Select This .
By default, the feature construction toolbar appears near the bottom of the map view.
- Draw the new shape across the features using the tools on the construction toolbar.
- Right-click and click Finish or press the F2 key to finish your edits.
If two or more possible polygon features result and the Choose result on finish check box is enabled, hover over the part you want to keep and click it when dashed lines appear along its perimeter.
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Save in the Manage Edits group.