The Change Length command trims or extends a polyline feature based on a length value you type in its dialog box. The dialog box lists the current length of the feature and the COGO length if it exists. This command is available with the Continue Feature tool and Edit Vertices tool .
When you use this command, consider the following:
- A positive or negative value determines whether the first or last vertex remains fixed.
- Changing the length of a z-aware feature preserves the angular pitch of its segments and assigns an interpolated z-value to the moved vertex.
- The Proportion new line length check box is available only when you change the length of a COGO enabled line feature containing a distance value in the Distance or ArcLength fields. This setting allows you to choose to scale the geometry proportionately or use the current ground to grid factor setting.
To trim or extend a line feature, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Modify in the Features group.
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Click the Continue Feature tool or Edit Vertices tool .
To find these tools, expand Reshape, or type Cont or Vertices, respectively, in the Search text box.
- Click the Selection tool in the tool pane and select a polyline feature.
If you select more than one feature, reselect the feature. Alternatively, click the feature in the pane selection view to flash it in the map, right-click the feature and click Only Select This .
If you are using Edit Vertices and map topology is enabled, click the Features tab.
The Features and Edges tabs are not required to complete this workflow. These tabs are available only when map topology or a geodatabase topology is enabled so that you can switch between editing feature vertices and topological edges and nodes.
The selected feature appears highlighted in the map with vertex handles. By default, project settings symbolize the first vertex green and the last vertex red.
- Hover over a segment until the pointer changes to the segment cursor .
- Right-click the segment and click Change Length .
The Change Length dialog box lists the current geometric length and the COGO length stored with the feature, if it exists.
- Click the Change Length box, type the line length, choose the units, and press Enter.
Length values modify feature geometry as described in the following table:
Typed line length Description
The total length of the feature is set to the typed length. The last vertex moves, and the location of the first vertex remains unchanged.
Negative values greater than the current total length
The total length of the feature is set to the typed length. The first vertex moves, and the location of the last vertex remains unchanged.
Negative values less than the current total length
The typed length is subtracted from the total length of the feature. The last vertex moves, and the location of the first vertex remains unchanged.
- To finish your edits, click Finish on the construction toolbar, or press the F2 key.