A map series is a collection of pages (also known as map sheets) built from a single layout in which each page shows a particular map extent. Map series pages can have dynamic elements that update for each page, such as scale or the map title, and static elements that are constant across all pages, such as graphics.
There are two types of map series:
- Spatial map series—The extent for each page is a feature. The map series is built by iterating through all the features in a layer, called the index layer, creating a page for each feature. For example, a spatial map series might contain an individual page for each county in a state, each country in a continent, or each parcel in a new subdivision.
- Bookmark map series—The extent for each page is a bookmark. The map series is built by iterating through a list of bookmarks you select, creating a page for each feature. For example, the first page of a bookmark map series might show a continent, the next page a country within that continent, the next page a city within that country, and the last page a particular neighborhood. Since bookmarks support time and range, a bookmark map series can also include map extents with different time and range settings.
Each map series supports different requirements, as outlined in the following table:
|Requirement||Spatial map series||Bookmark map series|
3D globe or local scene
Time on a map
Range on a map
Changing coordinate systems
Create a map series
Creating a map series requires an existing layout containing the map frame that you want to update on each page in the series. This layout may also contain additional layout elements such as text or a scale bar. To create a map series, complete the following steps:
- Open a layout that contains the relevant content.
- On the Insert tab, click the bottom half of the Map Series split button .
- Select the map series type to create, Spatial or Bookmark .
- Set the required properties and any desired optional properties for the chosen map series.
See Create a spatial map series for information on the required and optional properties for a spatial map series.
See Create a bookmark map series for information on the required and optional properties for a bookmark map series.
- Click OK to create the map series. You can then navigate through the map series pages to see how each looks.
Map series do not work with catalog layers
Enable a map series
Once a map series has been created, it can be disabled or enabled. Disabling the map series temporarily stops the map series functionality, while still preserving all the properties of the map series. When you enable the map series again, the properties are still set. If you removed the map series from the layout, the properties would not be preserved. Disable a map series by setting the Enable toggle button on the Map Series section of the Layout Properties window.