MapTips provide information, such as attributes or a display expression, when you position the pointer on a feature, surface, or raster image. MapTips are a layer property setting and do not require you to use pop-ups or the Attributes pane, giving you direct access to display field information.
MapTips for your layers must be enabled on the Display tab on the Layer Properties dialog box. Multiple layers can have MapTips at the same time; however, only the first four layers, listed in drawing order, will return results. The value shown for feature layers is the display field or expression. The value shown for raster layers is either the cell value, symbol value, or the RGB (red-green-blue) band combination at each pixel location.
- It is recommended that you disable MapTips when they are not necessary as they can impact navigation performance in the map.
- Layout views will not display MapTips unless the map frame has been activated.
- In the Contents pane, right-click the layer you want to display a MapTip and click Properties.
- On the Display tab, check Show MapTips.
- For feature layers, choose the desired display field or define a display expression.
- Click OK.
- In the map, position the pointer on a feature to see its MapTip.