Available with Production Mapping license.
The U.S. National Grid Reference Box is a layout element that references the universal transverse Mercator (UTM) grid zone designator and the two-letter location identifiers of the 100,000-meter grid squares that cover the extent of the active data frame. Multiple combinations of grid zone identifiers and 100,000-meter grid squares are possible when the data frame extent crosses zone boundaries.
The scale must be set to 1:250,000 or larger to use this tool.
Grid zone designations are unique identifiers specified with numbers from 1 to 60 for the UTM zones and letters C through X (skipping I and O) specifying 8 degrees of latitude each, starting at 80 degrees south and ending at 84 degrees north.
Each grid zone is subdivided into 100,000-meter grid squares specified by two-letter identifiers, with the first letter indicating a column and the second letter indicating a row.
The information displayed in the reference box, including the grid zone designation and the two-letter location identifiers of the 100,000-meter grid squares, is initially determined by the map extents.
Insert a U.S. National Grid Reference Box
The U.S. National Grid Reference Box can be inserted on any map layout with data located in the U.S.
- Verify that the map is in layout view.
If you don't have a layout set up for your project, add a layout.
- Click the Insert tab.
- Click the Additional Surrounds drop-down arrow and click U.S. National Grid Reference Box in the Topographic group.
- Click the layout where you want to insert the U.S. National Grid Reference Box.
The U.S. National Grid Reference Box is added to the layout.
Modify the U.S. National Grid Reference Box
You can modify the properties and appearance of the U.S. National Grid Reference Box using the options on the Meter Reference Guide contextual tab, as well as the Element pane.
- Verify that the map is in layout view and that a U.S. National Grid Reference Box has been added.
- Click the reference box in the Contents pane.
The Meter Reference Guide contextual tab appears. You can modify some of the reference box properties on this tab.
- Expand one of the following groups to open the Element pane:
- Current Selection
- Text Symbol
You can also open the Element pane directly by double-clicking the U.S. National Grid Reference Box in the Contents pane or right-clicking it and choosing Properties .
The following properties are available to modify only in the Element pane:
- Name—The name of the U.S. National Grid Reference Box element. The name of the element appears in the Contents pane and must be unique.
- Visible—Determines if the U.S. National Grid Reference Box is visible in the layout. The default is visible.
- Locked—Locks the element so that changes cannot not be made. The default is unlocked.
- Map Frame—Specifies the map frame with which the element is associated and where it gets the grid information.
- Type—Specifies the type of cartographic product for which you want to insert the element.
- Color—Specifies the color of the element.
The size commands aren't available for this element because its size is fixed to meet map product specifications.