In ArcGIS Pro, a portal is an ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise site that allows you to share your work and access content shared by others. To share or access portal content, you must add a connection in ArcGIS Pro by providing a URL to the portal.
Connections can be added, set to active, removed, and edited from the Portals page in ArcGIS Pro. Additionally, you can switch your active portal from the Sign In menu in the upper right corner of ArcGIS Pro.
If you do not have any portal connections, the Sign In menu is not visible. In this case, click the Project tab on the ribbon and click the Portals page to add connections and sign in to the portal directly or using a web browser.
Add a portal connection
To add a portal connection, complete the following steps:
- Click the Project tab on the ribbon and click the Portals page.
You can also access the Portals page from the Manage Portals link in the Sign In menu .
- Click Add Portal.
- Enter the URL for the portal on the Add Portal dialog box and click OK.
- ArcGIS Enterprise—https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname
- ArcGIS Online—https://www.arcgis.com
- ArcGIS Online organization—https://yourorg.maps.arcgis.com
- Optionally sign in to the portal. Click the Options button or right-click the portal and click Sign in. Enter your user name and password.
You can also sign in to a portal using a web browser.
- To make the new connection your active portal, right-click the URL and click Set As Active Portal.
If you connect to your ArcGIS Online organization's URL (for example, https://yourorg.maps.arcgis.com) and the administrator of your organization changes the organization's short name (in the same example, yourorg), you must edit the portal connection to match the new short name to share content and consume portal items.
Set as active portal
You can add and sign in to multiple portals, but you can only set one portal as active at a time in each instance of ArcGIS Pro. An active portal is an ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise site you designate as your current organizational workspace in ArcGIS Pro. For example, when you share a GIS resource such as a web layer or web map, it is shared to your active portal. Additionally, content from your active portal appears on the Portals tab of the Catalog pane.
By default, ArcGIS Online is your active portal. You can share to or access content from different portals by changing which portal is set to active.
To switch between active portals, do one of the following:
- Click the Project tab on the ribbon and click the Portals page. A green check mark indicates the active portal. Click the Options button or right-click any other portal and click Set As Active Portal.
- Click the Sign In menu , click Switch Active Portal, and click the URL from the portal connection list.
Refresh portal connections
Except for the active portal, which displays its current connection status, each portal listed on the Portals page displays its last known connection status. Click the Options button or right-click a portal and click Test Availability to check the portal's current connection status. Alternatively, click Refresh to update all the portal connection statuses.
Remove and edit portal connections
To remove a portal connection, click the Options button or right-click the portal and click Remove Portal Connection. If you licensed ArcGIS Pro as a named user, you cannot remove the connection to your licensing portal. A key indicates your licensing portal.
If the URL you are removing is your active portal, you will be automatically signed out and disconnected.
To edit a portal connection, click the Options button or right-click the portal and click Edit Portal Connection. When you finish editing the portal connection information, click OK to save the changes.
The options to remove and edit portal connections are not available for the licensing portal.