Summary statistics, along with the individual records in the report, combine to show the complete set of information for the layer or table on which you're reporting. For example, you can compute the sum, average, count, standard deviation, minimum, and maximum value of any numeric field.
Find the number of values included in statistical calculations. This counts each value except null values. To determine the number of null values in a field, create a count on the field in question, create a count on a different field that does not contain null values (for example, the OID if present), and subtract the two values from each other.
Calculate the average for the specified field.
Calculate the median for all records of the specified field.
Find the largest value for all records of the specified field.
Find the smallest value for all records of the specified field.
Find the extent of value deviation in the specified field.
Add the total value for the specified field.
Add statistics when creating a report
Statistics can be added when you create a report under the Organize the data page on the Create New Report pane. All statistics declared during this process will be added to the Report Footer as well as any optional Group Footer sections.
- On the Insert tab, in the Project group, click New Report to open the Create New Report pane.
Alternatively, right-click a layer in the Contents pane and click New Report to open the pane and have the report's data source set directly.
- In the Create New Report pane, review or update the Report Name and Data Source options and click Next.
- Under the Filter the data options, specify the fields and rows to show in your report and click Next.
- Under the Organize the data page, add any grouping fields with a corresponding sort direction. As well, add any optional sorting criteria.
- In the Summary Statistics section, define as many numeric field and statistic combinations as desired.
- Click Next to continue to the Design the report options, or click Finish to generate the report using the current configuration.
Add statistics to an existing report
Additional statistics can be added to a Group Footer or Report Footer after a report has been created using the following steps:
- Click a Group Footer or Report Footer section in the Contents pane or directly in the report view to activate the section.
- On the Insert tab, in the Data group, click the Summary Statistics button to open the Insert Statistic window. The Statistics gallery lists the available choices.
- Choose the statistic type you want to calculate.
- Select the field on which the statistic should be run from the Field drop-down.
- Optionally for numeric fields, specify the Number Format for the result.
- Click OK then click within the section to place the element box.
The statistic element is added and can be resized or repositioned.