A custom report template is a file that contains the elements of a report which is then used to create a report. It can be used in different projects or shared. A custom report template includes the report document view, any elements you added, and a reference to any fields, dynamic elements, or supplemental pages. A data source is not required, as the data is not included with the report template.
There are two ways to create a report template:
- Share an existing report as a report template.
- Create a custom report template to simplify the report authoring process.
Create and populate a custom report template
To create and populate a custom report template, complete the following steps:
- On the Insert tab, in the Project group, click the New Report drop-down menu.
- Click New Custom Template .
A new report view opens with a blank custom report template.
- Add fields, dynamic, or static elements, supplemental pages, or additional subreport sections to the template the same way you add them to any report.
Save a custom report template
Custom report templates are not saved with a project. Once a custom report template has been created and populated, you must save it to persist changes.
Follow these steps to save a custom report template:
- Ensure that the report template view is the active view.
- On the Report Template tab in the Template group, click Save .