Static elements are text and images that can be added to a report. Once you've added a static element to a report subsection, you can move it, resize it, change its color or symbol, and align it with other graphics on the page. In contrast to dynamic elements, static text and images are fixed to the report and do not change or update after the report is exported.
Examples of static elements include the following:
- Report title
- Author name
- Business tagline
- Graphic shapes
- Images such as company logo
Add static text
Complete the following steps to add static text to a report:
- Select the subsection in the report to which you want to add text.
- On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click Rectangle Text .
- Click to place the text element, or click and drag a rectangle to size in the selected subsection of the report.
- With a text element selected, under the Text tab, on the Format tab, adjust the appearance of the text including symbol properties (font, size, and color), alignment, size, and position.Optionally, expand the report subsection in the Contents pane and double-click the text element to open the Format Text pane to modify additional properties.
Add an image
Another way to customize a report is to add a supporting image. A company logo or picture can convert a report into one with a professional feel.
Complete the following steps to add an image to a report:
- Select the subsection in the report you want to add the image to.
- On the Insert tab, in the Graphics group, click Picture to open the Insert Picture dialog box.
- Browse to the image and click Open.
- Click and drag a rectangle to place the image in the selected subsection of the report.
The image is confined to the selected subsection.
- Optionally expand the report subsection in the Contents pane and double-click an image element to open the Format Picture pane to modify additional properties.
Modify static text
As with any text element, the appearance can be altered after it has been added to a report. There are three ways to modify static text in a report:
- Under the Text tab, on the Format tab, you can modify the text symbol, size, and position.
To access report styling after the report has been created, add the Reports system style to the project.
- In the Contents pane, expand the report subsection and double-click the static text element to open the Format Text pane to access additional properties.
It is recommended that you view the text symbol gallery by category, as this allows report elements to be grouped by styling category instead of as one long listing.
- Double-click the static text element in the report view and type new text for the element directly in the view. Click away from the selected element to commit the changes.
Modify an image
Once an image has been added to a report, it can be modified to change the source path or additional display and placement properties. Use either of the methods listed below to modify an image element in your report:
- Under the Picture tab, click Format to adjust the alignment, size, and appearance for the selected image.
- In the Contents pane, expand the report subsection and double-click the image element to open the Format Picture pane.