You can overwrite a geocode service that has been published to a stand-alone deployment of ArcGIS Server 10.6 or later. Reasons to overwrite a geocode service include updating source data, changing locator properties (such as minimum match score or output fields), or editing the item description. Overwriting a geocode service is similar to publishing a geocode service. However, you cannot change the name of the service or its location (the service URL). When you overwrite a geocode service, the service in client applications is updated.
To overwrite a geocode service, your project must contain a publisher or administrator connection to a stand-alone deployment of ArcGIS Server 10.6 or later. For more information, see Connect to a GIS server.
To overwrite a geocode service, follow these steps:
- Open the ArcGIS Pro project that contains the locator that you published as a geocode service.
Typically, you overwrite a geocode service with the same locator (modified or not) that you previously published from ArcGIS Pro. However, it is possible to overwrite a geocode service with a different locator either existing in the project or added to the project, as long as the project contains a publisher or administrator connection to the server.
- Make changes to the locator or locator properties if necessary.
- Add an ArcGIS Server connection to the ArcGIS Server where the geocode service is located to the project if one does not exist.
- In the Catalog pane, on the Project tab, expand Servers and browse to the geocode service you want to overwrite.
- Right-click the service and click Overwrite .
- On the Select Locator dialog box, browse to the locator you want to use to overwrite the service and select it. Click OK.
The Overwrite Geocode Service pane appears. On the General tab, under Service Details, the name of the geocode service is displayed. This name cannot be changed. Under the name, you can use the item description from the published service (the default) or update the item description from the locator you are using to overwrite the service.
- Accept the default item description setting, Use the item description from the geocode service, or click Use the item description from the locator.
The default option preserves the item description of the current service. The other option overwrites it.
- Optionally, modify the information in the Summary and Tags fields.
The fields may be empty if you chose to use the item description from the map in the previous step.
You can enter a maximum of 128 tags.
- Optionally, click the Configuration tab at the top of the pane and change any capabilities or service properties of the service.
For information about capabilities and service properties, see Configure a geocode service.
- Optionally, click the Content tab to view the new service structure.
- Click Analyze to identify potential issues or limitations.
The Messages tab reports any errors or warnings. Right-click a message to open a help topic with information and recommended solutions. See Analyze your GIS resource for more details.
- Once you have resolved any errors, and optionally resolved any warnings, click Publish .
- Optionally, click Jobs to monitor the job status.
- When the service is successfully overwritten, optionally click the Manage the service link at the bottom of the pane to access the service REST endpoint.