You can replace a vector tile layer in your ArcGIS Online portal or ArcGIS Enterprise portal (version 10.6 or later) with another vector tile layer. When you replace a layer, its content is updated. Its service URL and item ID do not change.
When you replace a vector tile layer, you specify a target layer (the layer to be replaced) and an update layer (the replacement layer). You also specify an archive layer name. When the target layer is replaced, its content is archived in your portal. Optionally you can replace the item information of the target layer in addition to its content.
Both the target layer and the update layer must be hosted in your portal, and you must be the owner of both layers.
The benefit of this workflow is that it allows you to stage and test the update layer in your portal before you replace the target layer. When the layer is replaced, user access is uninterrupted. The archive layer is available if you need to revert the update.
The illustration below shows how properties of the target, update, and archive layers are managed:
- The item ID of the target layer (A) does not change. By default, the archive layer uses the item ID of the update layer (B); optionally, the archive layer can be assigned a new item ID (C).
- The service URL of the target layer (A) does not change. The service URL of the archive layer references the target layer name and appends the word "archive" and a date stamp (A_Archive). The portal no longer contains a web layer with the name or service URL of the update layer.
- The target layer content (A) is replaced by the update layer content (B). The archive layer stores the replaced target layer content (A).
As a best practice, use the same spatial reference and tiling scheme for the update and target layers. They should also use the same layer structure. (If the target layer is composed of multiple layers, the update layer should include the same layers with the same names.) If these conditions aren't met, maps that use the web layer may not draw correctly after the layer is replaced.
Follow the steps below to replace a vector tile layer.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Pro.
Your active portal must be the portal in which the web layers are hosted. You must be signed in with the account that owns the layers.
- On the ribbon, click the Share tab. In the Manage group, click Replace Web Layer .
The Geoprocessing pane appears and opens the Replace Web Layer tool.
- For Target Layer, enter the service URL or item ID of the layer you want to replace.
You can browse to the vector tile layer or drag it from the catalog view or Catalog pane to the Target Layer input box. Alternatively, you can copy and paste the layer's service URL or item ID.
- Optionally, for Archive Layer Name, replace the default value with a new name.
The default archive layer name is <target layer>_archive_<timestamp>.
- Optionally, check the Create New Item For Archive Layer box.
When the box is unchecked, the archive layer uses the item ID of the update layer. This is the default. When the box is checked, a new item ID is assigned to the archive layer and the item ID of the update layer is no longer associated with any content.
This option is available at ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.8.
- For Update Layer, enter the service URL or item ID of the layer that will replace the target layer.
- Optionally, check the Replace Item Information box.
- Click Run.
When the tool completes, the target layer is replaced by the update layer. The archive layer is stored in the folder location of the target layer.