With ArcGIS Pro, you can share vector tile layers to your active portal. Like tile layers, vector tile layers are typically best used with relatively static maps. Unlike tile layers, vector tile layers adapt to the resolution of their display device and can be restyled for multiple uses in web maps. You can also replace a vector tile layer if it needs to be updated.
Raster datasets cannot be included in vector tile layers. The privilege to publish hosted tile layers is required to share a vector tile layer.
Share a vector tile layer using the default configuration
This workflow explains how to share a vector tile layer with default settings. To change the default configuration, see Configure a vector tile layer.
- To share a vector tile layer with the default tiling scheme, do one of the following:
- Share all usable layers in the map as a web layer. On the Share tab, in the Share As group, click the Web Layer drop-down arrow and click Publish Web Layer .
- Share selected layers in the map as a web layer. Select the layers in the Contents pane. Right-click any selected layer, point to Sharing, and click Share As Web Layer .
The Share As Web Layer pane appears.
For a vector tile layer, the tiling scheme defaults to match the coordinate system of the map.
- Provide a name for the web layer.
- Complete the Summary and Tags fields.
- If your active portal is ArcGIS Online, for Layer Type, click Vector Tile.
If your active portal is an ArcGIS Enterprise portal, click Vector Tile under Copy all data.
- Under Location, use the Folder menu to choose a folder in your portal content in which to store the web layer. Optionally create a folder.
By default, the web layer is stored at the root level of your portal content.
Click the Browse button to browse to a folder in your portal content. You can also type a folder name in the text box.
- Under Share with, specify how the web layer will be shared:
- Everyone—This option makes your content public. Anyone can access and see it.
- My Organization—This option allows your content to be shared with all authenticated users in the organization.
- Groups—This option allows you to share your content with groups to which you belong and their members.
Leave all options unchecked to set the sharing level to the owner of the item.
- Optionally click the Content tab to see the folder structure and sublayers of the web layer.
- Under Finish Sharing, click Analyze to check for problems.
Errors and warnings are listed on the Messages tab. Right-click a message to open its help topic or take corrective action in the software. Errors must be resolved before you can share the web layer. Resolving warnings is recommended but not required.
- After you have resolved errors, and optionally resolved warnings, click Publish to share the web layer.
- Optionally click Jobs to monitor the job status.
- When the layer is successfully published, click the Manage the web layer link at the bottom of the pane to access the web layer in your portal.
Considerations when sharing to older portals
Vector tile layers can be shared to earlier versions of ArcGIS Enterprise and Portal for ArcGIS, starting with Portal for ArcGIS 10.4. However, not all functionality is supported by earlier versions. Limitations are listed below.
ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 and earlier
- The option to allow clients to export cache tiles is not available.