A task item can be exported to an .esriTasks file, shared online, and shared using a project package. An .esriTasks file can be imported and opened in different projects.
Export a task item to a task file
To export a task item to a task file, in the Catalog pane, right-click the task item in the Tasks folder, point to Export To File, and click Save As. The task item is saved as an .esriTasks file.
Instead of clicking Save As, click Email to open a new email and attach the .esriTasks file to the email.
You can import an .esriTasks file into a project and open it in the Tasks pane. When importing a task file as a task item, ensure that the data referenced by the tasks is accessible and exists in the project. The data used in the task steps is not saved with the task file. To save the data with the tasks, create a project package.
Save a task item as a task file
To save an open task item as a task file, complete the following steps:
- Click Task Item on the Share tab on the ribbon.
- In the Share Task Item pane, choose Save task item to file and fill in the remaining parameters.
The task item that is currently open in the Tasks pane is saved as an .esriTasks file.
Share a task online
With ArcGIS Pro, you can share tasks to ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. To share a task, you must have an account that is part of an ArcGIS organization and the account must have privileges to create content.
- In ArcGIS Pro, open the task you want to share.
- With the task item open in the Tasks pane, click Task Item on the Share tab in the Save As group.
- In the Share Task Item pane, choose Upload task item to Online account.
- Confirm that the name of the open task item is correctly displayed under Name.
If no task item is open, the name of the task item that is currently selected in the Catalog pane is displayed.
You can also type the name of the task file under Name. The task file should reside in your home project folder. The name should only include the name of the task file and should not include any folders or a file path.
- Optionally, complete the Summary and Tags fields.
A summary and tags are required when sharing to an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 or earlier portal. A summary should provide information such as the task version, author, and the name of the person or organization that provided the task item. Tags allow end users to search for and locate the task item.
You can enter a maximum of 128 tags.
- Specify how the task item will be shared:
- Everyone—This option makes your content public. Anyone can access and see it.
- Your organization—If you are signed in with an organizational account, you see this option. This option allows your content to be shared with all authenticated users in the organization.
- Groups—You can share your content with groups you belong to and their members.
Leave all options unchecked to set the sharing level to the owner of the item.
- Under Finish Sharing, click Analyze to review for potential problems.
Errors and warnings are listed on the Messages tab. Right-click a message to open its help topic or take corrective action in the software. Errors must be resolved before you can share your GIS resource. Resolving warnings is recommended but not required.
- After you resolve errors, and optionally resolve warnings, click Publish to share the task item.
- Once the process of sharing the task item has completed, click the Manage task item link to administer the task item.
Share a task item using a project package
A project package is used to share a complete project. A project package is a portable file that contains all the project items, such as maps, data, toolboxes, and task items.