Available with Workflow Manager license.
Status types describe the states or stages a job moves through during its execution. In Workflow Manager (Classic), you can define the statuses that are used in your workflows.
There are three ways that status can be used in Workflow Manager (Classic):
- Automatic status assignment
- Step status assignment
- Manual status assignment
Automatic status assignment
If the Use Automatic Status Assignment option in Workflow Manager (Classic) system settings is checked, the job's status will automatically update as the job progresses through its life cycle. The following statuses must exist in the system for this to work correctly:
Step status assignment
With the automatic status assignment on its own, you have no control over the status of the job; Workflow Manager (Classic) manages it based on the internal stage that the job is currently in. If you choose to further automate status updates using the step status assignment option, you can automatically set the status of the job by associating a step in the workflow with a status that better matches your business processes.
Workflow Manager (Classic) will maintain the last defined status on your job if a step status is not set. This gives you the flexibility of setting the status at key sections of your workflow rather than all the steps.
Complete the steps in these sections to create and configure statuses.
Create a new status type
In addition to the existing status types in Workflow Manager (Classic), you can define your own status types to manage and track work in your system.
- Open Workflow Manager (Classic) Administrator for ArcGIS Pro and connect to your Workflow Manager (Classic) database.
- Expand Job Components > Status Types.
The list shows all the currently configured status types. If no status types are configured, the list will be blank.
- Right-click Status Types and click Add Status Type.
- The Status Properties dialog box appears.
- Provide basic status type information.
- Status Name—The name of the status type. Once created, this value cannot be changed.
- Caption—This is the display name for the status. If left empty, the name will automatically be used. This value can be changed after the status has been created.
- Description—A description of what the status represents.
- Click OK to add the status type.
Configure step status assignment
The status types in the Workflow Manager (Classic) repository can be configured to be related to steps in a job's workflow.
- Enable the Use step status assignment option in the Workflow Manager (Classic) system settings.
- Create the status types that are meaningful to your processes.
- Update the status property for the steps in the workflow where the status should be updated.
One way to identify where to update the status properties is to evaluate your workflows and identify which sections fall into each status category that you've identified. Then, on the first step in each section, update the status property to match the appropriate status.