Creates a preview of the first ten features in a big data connection (BDC) dataset.
This tool requires a BDC. To create a BDC, use the Create Big Data Connection tool.
Use this tool to verify that dataset information is registered correctly for BDC datasets. The following are example scenarios:
- You have a delimited dataset and need to verify the delimiter being used is correctly parsing your dataset.
- You have updated field aliases and want to confirm that the attribute values match the field aliases.
- You have hidden certain fields and want to preview your filtered dataset.
The tool will include details of the first ten features in the tool messages. Optionally, you can create an output CSV representation of the features using the Output Preview File parameter. The ten features are not random and should not be used as random representations for analysis.
The output will include all visible fields from the input. Any fields that have been set as not visible will be excluded.
The Describe Dataset tool may be a more suitable tool in some cases. The Describe Dataset tool provides a summary of all of the fields, the time and geometry extents, and optionally provides a sample of the dataset with the time and geometry. Use the Describe Dataset tool in the following cases:
- You want to create a sample of your dataset and output it to shapefile, file geodatabase, or enterprise geodatabase.
- You want to preview more than ten features.
- Your dataset has time or geometry, or you want to interact with your features on a map.
- You want to calculate and preview summary statistics for your dataset.
To make a copy of a BDC dataset, use the Copy Dataset From Big Data Connection tool.
The Preview Dataset From Big Data Connection tool creates a preview of an existing BDC dataset. Use the following tools to modify a BDC:
- Copy Dataset From Big Data Connection—Copies a dataset from a BDC to a feature class.
- Duplicate Dataset From Big Data Connection—Creates a view of an existing BDC dataset.
- Refresh Big Data Connection—Checks for any new datasets and add them to the BDC.
- Remove Dataset From Big Data Connection—Removes a dataset from the BDC.
- Update Big Data Connection Dataset Properties—Modifies the properties of an individual BDC dataset.
This geoprocessing tool is powered by Spark. See Big data connections to learn more about big data connections and how to use them.
The dataset to preview from the BDC file.
The output .csv file that represents a preview of your BDC dataset.
The following Python script demonstrates how to use the PreviewDatasetFromBDC function.
# Name: PreviewDatasetFromBigDataConnection.py # Description: Preview a dataset from a BDC. # Requirements: ArcGIS Pro Advanced License # Import system modules import arcpy # Set local variables dataset = r"c:\Projects\MyProjectFolder\my_BigDataConnection.bdc\airplane_tracksDataset" csvOutput = r"c:\Projects\MyProjectFolder\Preview_airplane_tracks.csv" # Preview BDC Dataset arcpy.gapro.PreviewDatasetFromBDC(dataset, csvOutput)
- Basic: No
- Standard: No
- Advanced: Yes