You can review and set your selection option preferences before you begin selecting features. On the Options dialog box, on the Selection tab, you can set the following default interactive selection options:
- Selection color—Sets the color of your selected features. The default color is cyan.
- Interactive selection mode—Specifies how the shapes you digitize will be
used to select features. You have the following two options:
- Select features that are partially or completely within the selection graphic shape. This option is enabled by default.
- Select features that are completely contained by the selection shape (2D only).
- Selection combination mode—Allows you to specify the default behavior when
selecting multiple features. Create a new
selection is selected by default, but this can be configured to
any of the four options listed below:
- Create a new selection set of features each time you digitize with a selection tool. This is the default option.
- Add to the current selection set (Shift + Click).
- Remove features from the current selection set (Ctrl + Click).
- Select features from the current selection set (Ctrl + Shift + Click).
- Save layers and tables with their current selection—Maintains the selection for the layers or tables when a project is reopened. This option is enabled by default.
- Display the interactive selection graphic—This option can be enabled if you prefer to maintain the selection shape graphic after drawing a selection shape. This can be useful for making additional dynamic interactive selections. Click and drag the graphic to a new location and update the selection. You can also resize the graphic by clicking and dragging one of its handles.
- Show the selection chip—Controls whether or not the selection chip appears near the pointer when you select coincident or overlapping features and displays the selection list so you can click the desired feature. This option is enabled by default.
- Keep invisible features selected with a new selection—Maintains the selection set for layers that you turn off before making a new selection.