Styles are collections of reusable things such as symbols and other assets that appear on maps, scenes, and layouts. A project contains connections to styles; you add styles from the Project pane or a Project view.
Learn more about styles.
Add a system style to the project
System styles are styles authored by Esri that are included with ArcGIS Pro. New projects include connections to ArcGIS 2D, ArcGIS 3D, ArcGIS Colors, and ColorBrewer Schemes (RGB) system styles. You add and remove system styles from the System Styles dialog box.
- On the Insert tab, in the Style group, click the Add Styles drop-down arrow and click Add System Style .The System Styles dialog box appears. System styles are grouped by theme in the list on the left.
- Use the check boxes to manage the list of project styles shown on the right.
- Click OK to confirm the current list of project styles.
Add a custom style to the project
In addition to the system styles provided by ArcGIS Pro, you can add other styles—created by you or someone else—provided they are located on an accessible local or network drive, or on ArcGIS Online. You can browse to a style from the Styles folder in the Project pane or access them directly from the project folders. Styles have a *.stylx file extension. Styles from previous releases of ArcGIS Desktop have *.style extensions. These files must be imported to use in a project.
- On the Insert tab, in the Style group, click the Add styles drop-down arrow and click Add Style .
- Browse to a style (*.stylx file), and click OK to add the style to the project.
Add styles from ArcGIS Online
You can browse to or search for styles on ArcGIS Online from within ArcGIS Pro. These may be styles created by Esri for specific industries in specific languages, or styles created by you, your organization, or someone else. Only ArcGIS Pro styles (*.stylx files) are stored on ArcGIS Online. ArcGIS Desktop styles (*.style files) are not valid ArcGIS Online items. Styles added to a project from ArcGIS Online become a project item to that project, but are stored in your user profile at [drive]:\Users\[your_name]\Documents\ArcGIS\OnlineStyles.
- In the Project pane, under the Portal tab, click one of the Portal icons to choose what realm to search from—within your content , your groups , or from all of Portal .
- If necessary, type a search term into the field at the top of the pane.
- Right-click a style and click Add Style .
Import a style into the project
Styles created in previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop can be used in ArcGIS Pro. Importing the style simultaneously creates an updated *.stylx version of the style and adds it to the project. The new style is placed in the Home folder of the project. The new style items can also be copied to custom styles and modified to suit your work.
- On the Insert tab in the Style group, click Import .
- Browse to a style (*.style file) and click OK to create a *.stylx file and add it to the project.
Create a new style in the project
You can create new, empty styles at any time. Use the Project view to copy style items from other project styles into it, or create new style items directly.
- On the Insert tab, in the Style group, click New Style .
- Browse to a folder to store the new style. Type a name for the new style and click Save.