The first steps to getting started with ArcGIS Pro are to download, install, and authorize the application. Optionally, you can also download an offline help setup or language packs that allow you to run ArcGIS Pro in your preferred language.
You download ArcGIS Pro and any optional setups from My Esri. You can access a list of downloads that are available to you by browsing to the My Organizations tab and clicking Downloads.
To download, your Esri account must be connected to your organization with the appropriate permissions. If you don't have appropriate permissions, the option to download will not be available to you. On the My Organizations tab in My Esri, click Request permissions to your organization, which will notify your administrator to connect your Esri account to your organization.
- ArcGIS Pro (required): Download from My Esri to get the main ArcGIS Pro application.
- Offline help (optional): Download from My Esri to access offline help (local help files) for ArcGIS Pro.
By default, ArcGIS Pro connects to and displays an online help system. If you will be working in a disconnected environment, install the local help files. For more information, see About ArcGIS Pro Help.
ArcGIS Pro can be installed as a per-machine installation or as a per-user installation. A per-machine installation allows all users on the machine to use ArcGIS Pro. A per-user installation allows only the installer to use ArcGIS Pro. The default installation locations for each option can be found in Install ArcGIS Pro silently using command line parameters under INSTALLDIR. The steps below reflect a per-machine installation.
You should install ArcGIS Pro before you install any optional setups.
For ArcGIS Pro to be installed per user on supported Windows Server operating systems, the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer must contain the REG_DWORD data type DisableMSI, with a value of 0. For more information, see the MSDN topic DisableMSI.
- Review the ArcGIS Pro system requirements to verify operating system and other environmental prerequisites.
- Start the ArcGIS Pro installation program and click Next when you are ready to proceed.
- Review the license agreement and accept it if you agree. Click Next to continue with the installation. You must exit if you do not agree with the terms.
- Select the installation context in which ArcGIS Pro will install, whether per-machine (all users) or per-user. By default, the per-machine option is selected. Click Next to continue.
If the user running the setup does not have administrative privileges, a per-machine instance of ArcGIS Pro cannot be installed.
- Click Change to specify the installation folder or click Next to accept the default location of C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\.
If the installation folder is changed, neither ArcGIS nor Pro is appended to the modified path. It is recommended that the selected custom installation location include a folder and not the root location of a drive.
- Click Install to begin the installation. Note that the Esri User Experience Improvement check box is checked by default.
- Click Finish to close the wizard when the installation completes. Leave the Run ArcGIS Pro now check box checked if you want to start the application immediately.
- Optionally, run the offline help setup for ArcGIS Pro by browsing to its installation folder and executing the ArcGISProHelp.msi file.
After you download and install ArcGIS Pro, you must have an authorized license to begin using the application.
If you have an ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise account, you can start ArcGIS Pro with a Named User license. If your credentials do not work, contact your administrator. A license may not have been assigned to you, or you may need to authorize a Single Use or Concurrent Use license instead of a Named User license.
If you are an administrator, the steps to authorize licenses depend on the type of license you are using. By default, ArcGIS Pro uses Named User licensing, but you also have the option to use Single Use or Concurrent Use licensing.