You can make either a per-machine installation (the default) or a per-user installation of ArcGIS Pro. A per-machine installation allows any user to run ArcGIS Pro on the computer on which it is installed. A per-user installation allows only the user who installs it to run the application.
The default installation location for a per-machine installation is <System Drive>\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro. The default installation location for a per-user installation is <System Drive>\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro.
To make a per-user installation on supported Windows Server operating systems, the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer must contain the REG_DWORD data type DisableMSI, with a value of 0. For more information, see the Microsoft help topic DisableMSI.
Upgrading ArcGIS Pro directly from a retired version is not supported. To upgrade a retired version, you must uninstall the software before running the latest ArcGIS Pro setup. Retired versions of ArcGIS Pro are listed in the Product Life Cycle table.
Install ArcGIS Pro and optional components
You must install ArcGIS Pro before installing optional components. Follow the steps below to install ArcGIS Pro:
- Browse to the location where you downloaded ArcGIS Pro. Double-click the executable (.exe) file to start the installation process.
- Accept the destination folder to which files are extracted or click Browse to browse to a different folder.
The default destination folder is <System Drive>\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS Pro <version>.
- Click Next.
A message informs you when the files have been successfully extracted. The Launch the setup program check box is checked by default.
To install the software later, uncheck the Launch the setup program check box. When you're ready to install, browse to the destination folder and double-click ArcGISPro.msi.
- Click Close.
- On the ArcGIS Pro Setup splash screen, click Next.
- Under Welcome to the ArcGIS Pro Setup program, read the information and take recommended actions. Click Next.
- Review the master agreement and choose an option:
- If you agree to the terms, click the option to accept the agreement and click Next.
- If you do not agree to the terms, click Cancel to exit the installation.
- Choose an installation context option:
- Click Anyone who uses this computer (the default) for a per-machine installation.
- Click Only for me for a per-user installation.
You must have administrative privileges to make a per-machine installation.
- Click Next.
- Accept the default location based on your installation context option, or click Change to specify a different folder.
The default location for the Anyone who uses this computer option is <System Drive>\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro. The default location for the Only for me option is <System Drive>\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro.
If you choose a nondefault location, it is recommended that the path include a folder and not be the root location of a drive. The modified path does not append \ArcGIS\Pro\ by default.
- Click Next.
- Click Install.
When the installation is completed, the Run ArcGIS Pro now option is checked by default. Uncheck the box if you don't want to start the application immediately.
- Click Finish.
Follow the same process to install optional components you have downloaded, such as the offline help system.
Uninstall ArcGIS Pro
Uninstall ArcGIS Pro using either the Control Panel or Windows Settings.
Access the Control Panel from the Start menu or search box. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program. Select ArcGIS Pro from the list of programs and features, click Uninstall, and click Uninstall again. On the Windows Installer message, click Yes to confirm that you want to uninstall.
Alternatively, access the Windows Settings from the Start menu. Browse to Apps & features, select ArcGIS Pro in the list of programs, click Uninstall, and click Uninstall on the pop-up message that appears. On the Windows Installer message, click Yes to confirm that you want to uninstall.