A chart is a graphical representation of tabular data. Visualizing data through charts helps you discover patterns, trends, relationships, and structure in data that may otherwise be difficult to see as raw numbers in a table. Use charts in conjunction with a report to explore data or help tell a story.
You can create and edit charts in the chart view. Once a chart has been created, you can add a chart frame containing the chart to your report. Chart frame properties—such as the background, border, and shadow—can be modified on the Format tab. Use the Format Chart Frame pane to adjust the visibility, chart references, and placement.
Add a chart frame to a report
To add a chart frame to a report, ensure that the data source has a chart associated with it. If a chart does not already exist, first create one.
- In the report view, select the section to add a chart to.
- On the Insert tab, in the Data group, click Chart Frame and choose a chart associated with the report data source.
Note:Only charts that are in the same map as the report data source will be listed.
- In the active section, click and drag to create the chart frame.
The chart frame appears on the report and is selected.
Charts can be added to report headers and footers as well as any group headers and footers.
Format a chart
The way individual chart elements—such as the title, axis labels, and description text—appear on the report is determined by how the chart was defined. To make changes to the chart on the report, open the chart in a chart view:
- In the Contents pane, right-click the chart frame element and click Open.
The chart view opens and the Chart Properties pane appears.
- On the Format tab under Chart, select a theme.
Changes to the theme automatically update on the chart and the report.
- Optionally, on the Chart Properties pane, on the Data tab, change the variables of the chart, such as Category, Date or Number, Aggregation, and Series.
- Optionally, on the General tab, change the Chart title, X and Y axis titles, and Description values.
Format the chart frame
The chart frame refers to the container of the chart on the report. You can change the appearance of a chart frame's background, border, and shadow on the report on the Format tab. For example, use the following steps to change the background color of a chart:
- In the report view, select the chart on the report.
- Under Chart Frame, click the Format tab.
- In the Current Selection group, click the drop-down menu and choose Background.
- In the Background group, use the gallery to change the fill color.
To change another element of the chart frame, choose it from the Current Selection group.
Modify chart frame properties
In the Format Chart Frame pane, you can change additional properties, such as the chart frame's visibility and locked status on the report, as well as its placement. You can also change the chart that the chart frame is referencing.
- In the report view, right-click a chart and click Properties.
- Optionally, in the Format Chart Frame pane, on the Options tab, change the chart frame's Name and Visibility.
- Click the Display tab to change the border, background, or shadow of the chart.
- Click the Placement tab to change the size and position of the chart frame.
If there are multiple charts for the report's data source, you can change the chart the frame is referencing from the Chart drop-down menu.