Available with the ArcGIS Indoors Pro or ArcGIS Indoors Maps extension.
Indoor data creation involves a process that can be mostly automated using geoprocessing tools available with ArcGIS Indoors. Data creation involves the following high level steps:
- Create the Indoors workspace
- Georeference source data
- Import or digitize floor plan features
- Review data quality
Each step is described in the sections below.
Create the Indoors workspace
There are two ways to create the Indoors model elements:
- Use the Create Indoors Database tool to create an Indoors workspace that contains the fields and tables required for floor plan mapping, routing, space planning, and workspace reservations.
- Use the Create Indoor Dataset tool to create an indoor dataset for basic floor plan mapping. The indoor dataset includes a streamlined schema that does not include some of the fields and tables required by Space Planner, Indoor Viewer, and the Indoors mobile apps by default.
Georeference source data
Import floor plan features
You can load floor plans from CAD drawings or BIM files using geoprocessing tools in the Indoors toolbox.
To import floor plans from CAD drawings, use the Import CAD To Indoor Dataset tool—You can use this tool to import .dwg files from AutoCAD or .dgn files from MicroStation.
Alternately, you can use the older Import Floorplans To Indoors Database tool to import .dwg files from AutoCAD or .dgn files from MicroStation. This tool requires a Microsoft Excel configuration spreadsheet to facilitate mapping source CAD layer names to their output GIS layers and attributes.
You can use one of the following tools to import floor plans from a BIM model to an Indoors workspace:
- Import BIM To Indoor Dataset—Import floor plans from Revit .rvt files.
- Import IFC To Indoor Dataset—Import floor plans from .ifc files.
If you don't have .dwg, .dgn, .rvt, or .ifc files, you can georeference floor plan images and digitize the floor plan manually.
Review data quality
Once you have loaded floor plans to the Indoors workspace, you can perform data quality review to ensure that data was imported correctly, conforms to the Indoors model, and meets your organizational needs. Indoors provides a collection of validation attribute rules to check your data for common and critical errors. You can add new rules or modify these rules based on your needs.