Available for an ArcGIS organization licensed with the Indoors extension.
Data creation involves the following high-level process that can be mostly automated using geoprocessing tools available with ArcGIS Indoors:
- Create the Indoors geodatabase or indoor dataset.
- Georeference source data.
- Import or digitize floor plan features.
Create the Indoors geodatabase or indoor dataset
There are two ways to create the Indoors model elements:
- Use the Create Indoors Database tool to create an Indoors geodatabase. The Indoors geodatabase created by this tool contains the fields and tables required for floor plan mapping, routing, space planning, and workspace reservations.
- Use the Create Indoor Dataset tool to create an indoor dataset inside an existing file or enterprise geodatabase for basic floor plan mapping. The indoor dataset includes a streamlined schema that conforms to the ArcGIS Indoors Information Model and does not include some of the fields and tables required by Space Planner, Indoor Viewer, and the Indoors mobile apps by default.
Georeference source data
Import floor plan features
You can load floor plans from CAD drawings, BIM files, or PDF drawings. Importing floor plans from CAD drawings, for example, .dwg files from AutoCAD or .dgn files from MicroStation, requires a Microsoft Excel configuration spreadsheet to facilitate mapping source CAD layer names to their output GIS layers and attributes. You can import floor plans from BIM files, for example .rvt files from Autodesk Revit, directly into an indoor dataset using the Import BIM To Indoor Dataset tool.
If you don't have .dwg, .dgn, or .rvt files, you can georeference floor plan images and digitize the floor plan manually.