You can choose from a number of placement positions, offset types, and distances when placing labels for line features using the Maplex Label Engine. You can also control whether labels must be placed exactly at the location specified by the placement parameters you set or they may vary within a given distance from that position.
There are combinations of label positions. The first two are the following:
- Centered—Places the label on the feature at the midpoint of the label
- Offset—Places the label at a default or user-defined distance or distance range from the line feature's symbol
These two placement positions are combined with the following to create all the choices:
- Horizontal—Places the label horizontally relative to the upper and lower map border
- Straight—Places the label on a straight line tangent to the feature
- Curved—Places the label along the curve of the line feature
- Perpendicular—Places the label perpendicular to a straight line tangent to the line feature
Different combinations of these positions are available with the different line label styles.
- Ensure that the Maplex Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure that List By Labeling is the active method of displaying the Contents pane. Click the List By Labeling tab .
- Choose a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- In the Labeling pane, click Position and click the Position tab .
- Expand Placement.
- Click the Regular placement style from the Placement drop-down menu and choose a placement position from the Position drop-down menu.