You can see the file name, path, and metadata for the current project on the Info page in the ArcGIS Pro settings. Follow these steps to access the project info:
- Create or open a project.
- On the ribbon, click the Project tab.
- In the list of side tabs, click Info.
The project name, path, and metadata are displayed. The following commands are available:
- Copy Path —Copies the project path to the clipboard.
- Show in File Explorer —Opens File Explorer to the project's file system location.
- Thumbnail options —Opens a dialog box where you can choose how project thumbnails are generated. This is further described below.
- Edit metadata —Opens a view for editing the project metadata. This is further described below.
If there is no open project, the Info tab appears dimmed.
Edit project metadata
A project does not have metadata or a thumbnail image until you add it. If your metadata style is something other than Item Description, you can provide complete metadata for the project according to the style you are using. However, only the elements that are part of the item description appear on the Info page. These elements are a title, thumbnail, summary, tags, description, credits, and use limitations.
- On the Info page, under the thumbnail image (or its placeholder), click Edit metadata .
The project metadata view opens.
- Fill out the item description fields.
The item description is incomplete unless it contains a title, tags, and summary. These elements are required for indexing.
- Optionally, in the Thumbnail area, click Update and browse to a graphic file to use as a thumbnail.
- On the ribbon, on the Metadata tab, in the Manage Metadata group, click Save .
- Close the metadata view.
The Info page is updated.
Set thumbnail options
By default, you edit metadata to add, update, or delete the project thumbnail. Alternatively, you can choose to generate a thumbnail automatically whenever you save the project. This is convenient if you want the thumbnail to reflect the current state of the project. Thumbnails can be generated either from the active map or scene or from a specified map or scene.
Project thumbnails appear in the following places:
- On the Info page in the ArcGIS Pro settings
- In the list of recent projects on the start page (in the Tile view )
- In the list of recent projects on the Open page in the ArcGIS Pro settings (in the Tile view )
- In the metadata view of the project
- On the Info page, under the thumbnail image (or its placeholder), click Thumbnail options .
- On the Thumbnail Options dialog box, click an option:
- Add a thumbnail using the metadata editor (default)—This workflow is described in the Edit project metadata section.
- Generate a thumbnail automatically when the project is saved
- From the active map or scene—A thumbnail is generated from the current state of the active map or scene when you save the project.
- From a specific map or scene—Choose a map or scene in your project from the drop-down list. A thumbnail is generated from this map or scene when you save the project. The view must be open for a thumbnail to be generated. It doesn't need to be the active view, but it does need to load completely before you save the project.
- Click OK.
To preserve a particular thumbnail that was generated automatically—and not overwrite it with a future save—reset the thumbnail options to Add a thumbnail using the metadata editor.
If you delete a specific map or scene that is being used to generate thumbnails, the thumbnail options are reset to Add a thumbnail using the metadata editor.
Thumbnails cannot be generated automatically if indexing is turned off.