The Build parcels from CAD lines workflow below describes the steps and actions used in the Build parcels from CAD lines task. The Build parcels from CAD lines task is a record-driven workflow for building parcels from CAD lines in the parcel fabric.
To build parcels from CAD lines, you can use the Build parcels from CAD lines task or follow these steps:
- Create a parcel record for the CAD file.
In the Build parcels from CAD lines task, the Create Record pane is embedded in the Tasks pane and automatically opens in the first step.
The parcel record will be set as active in the map. The Created By Record field of new parcel features will be populated with the GlobalID of the active record.
- If necessary, use the Locate pane to search for and locate the parcels to split.
In the task, you can skip this step.
- Click Add Data in the Layer group on the Map tab and browse to and add the CAD data to the map.
- Georeference the CAD lines if necessary.
Georeferencing CAD lines moves the lines to the projection and spatial location of the parcel fabric. When georeferencing, you can move the CAD lines to an approximate position in the parcel fabric. After building the parcels, use alignment tools to align the parcels to the surrounding parcels in the parcel fabric.
- Use the Select tool in the Selection group on the Parcels ribbon to select the CAD lines.
Tip:To select all the lines in a layer, right-click the line layer in the Contents pane, point to Selection, and click Select All.
In the Build parcels from CAD lines task, the step loads the Select tool.
- Click Copy Lines To in the Construct group on the Parcels ribbon to open the Copy Lines To dialog box.
In the task, the Copy Lines To dialog box is embedded in the Tasks pane and automatically opens in the step.
- Choose a parcel type to which to add the copied lines.
The copied lines will be added as new lines to the parcel line feature class of the parcel type.
- Choose Show only active record to show only parcel features that are part of the active parcel record.
Turning off the display of parcel features that are not part of the active record is useful when editing and modifying lines to construct new parcels.
Note:If parcels are already part of the active record, they will be displayed in addition to the copied lines.
- Click OK to copy the lines to the active record.
Seeds will be automatically generated for closed loops of lines.
- Clean the copied CAD lines. For example, you may need to do the following:
- Extend or trim dangling lines, planarize lines, or delete lines that create gaps.
- Click Vertices in the Tools gallery on the Parcels ribbon, and click on a line to display its vertices.
- Delete parcel seeds. Erroneous parcel seeds can indicate erroneous line loops or gaps. Clean the gaps and delete the erroneous seeds.
- Create additional parcel seeds. Click Create Seeds in the Construct group on the Parcels ribbon to generate parcel seeds.
In the task, the Planarize tool, Extend Or Trim tool, Vertices tool, Create Seeds command, Validate Extent command, and Fix Error tool are automatically loaded in a pallette for the step.
- Click Validate Extent in the Tools gallery on the Parcels ribbon to validate the map extent and detect any missed line errors.
Topology errors are labeled in the map extent by their error name, for example, Missing Point. Open the Error Inspector pane to display the topology errors. Use the Fix Error tool to fix errors in the map with a predefined fix.
Missing parcel and missing point errors will be fixed when parcels are built.
- Optionally select and update the attributes of parcel seeds. The attributes will be transferred to the new parcels once they have been built.
Alternatively, you can update the attributes of the built parcels.
- Click Build Active in the Construct group on the Parcels ribbon to build parcels from CAD lines in the active record.
In the task, the step automatically runs the Build Active command and proceeds to the next step.
- If necessary, align the newly built parcels to surrounding parcel features.
- If necessary, set parcels that were replaced by the CAD lines as historic.
If the parcel record of the CAD lines is the active record, the Retired By Record field of the parcel features being set historic will be populated with the GlobalID of the active record.
- Use the Sequential Numbering tool in the Tools gallery on the Parcels ribbon to add sequential attributes to the new parcels.
You can also select parcels and open the Attributes pane to update attributes
In the task, the Sequential Numbering pane is embedded in the Tasks pane and automatically opens in the step.
- Optionally use the Update COGO tool in the Tools gallery on the Parcels ribbon to add COGO dimensions to the newly built parcel lines.
Select the lines you want to update and click the Update COGO tool to open the Update COGO pane. COGO dimensions are generated from the line geometry. The COGO Type attribute of the line is set to Computed.