The Select By Attributes button opens the Select Layer By Attribute geoprocessing tool to form a SQL query to select features matching a selection criteria. So instead of interactively selecting features by clicking or drawing a graphic in the map or scene, you build a query expression to generate the subset. You can query a dataset based on a field in a layer or a table.
How to select by attributes
- On the Map tab in the Selection group, click Select By Attributes to open the Select Layer By Attribute geoprocessing tool.
- If you're working in a table view, under the Table tab, on the View tab, in the Selection group, click Select By Attributes .
- Choose the layer or table name from which you want to select.
- Specify the Selection type to control how the selection is applied and what to do if a selection already exists in the view.
- Enter a query expression using one of the following methods:
- Click Clause, then click Add Clause to begin building a query. Click Update to validate the expression.
- Click SQL to type an expression directly. Click the button to validate the expression.
- Click Load to load an existing query saved as a file.
- Click Run to execute the selection query and work with the selection results.
- Zoom to your selection by clicking the results count at the bottom of the view.
- Optionally, you can save the query expression for later reuse.