Available with Standard or Advanced license.
After registering data as branch versioned, publish the data to your organization's ArcGIS Enterprise portal as a feature service that references registered data. The data is then available as a web feature layer, and you can edit it as part of your branch versioning workflows.
All branch versioned data is published from the default version. To work with branch versioned datasets in a named version and have them participate in versioning workflows, enable the Version Management capability when you publish the service.
Tip:When publishing branch versioned data, pay attention to the following:
- The access property for the default version determines whether the version can be edited by other users. To protect the default version, you can modify the access version property using the versions view or the Alter Version tool.
- The group the web feature layer is shared with determines which users have access to the data. It is important to understand that when sharing to a shared update group, all members will serve as the version administrator for the service.
When you publish branch versioned data, there is an option to enable Version Management capabilities. The version management service exposes the management capabilities necessary to support feature services that work with branch versioned datasets. To work with branch versioned datasets in a named version and have them participate in versioning workflows, enable Version Management when you publish the service.
The following features are enabled for the feature layer when published with the Version Management capability checked:
- Access to the Versioning contextual tab and versions view. This allows you to do the following:
- Undo and redo capabilities are available when working in a named
version. This allows you to do the following:
- Undo or redo individual edits that have been made throughout an edit session.
- Save or discard edits for the entire edit session.
Share a branch versioned layer
There are many conditions and restrictions for sharing branch versioned data as web layers. Analyzer errors and warnings appear in the Share As Web Layer pane to validate branch versioned datasets against certain requirements.
The following conditions apply:
- The ArcGIS Server site must be 10.6 or later.
- All layers must belong to a branch workspace. This is determined by the data source of the database connection and is set by the Versioning Type property on the Geodatabase Connection Properties dialog box. To learn how to set this, see Use the Geodatabase Connection Properties dialog box.
- The connected geodatabase user must be the owner of the data.
- The database must be registered as a data store.
- Web layers must reference data from referenced data sources. In the Share As Web Layer pane, on the General tab and under Data and Layer Type, ensure that Map Image is selected under Reference registered data.
- Include Feature to have edit access to the web layers. Feature access is required to enable the Version Management capability.
- Optionally, enable the Version Management capability. Capabilities can be found on the Configuration tab and the Configure Layers tab .
- When the Version Management capability is enabled, all datasets must be of the same registration type. This means that you are not permitted to publish traditional and branch versioned datasets in the same service.
- The Instance Type for the service must be set to Dedicated instance. The Instance Type setting is found on the Configuration tab and the Configure Pooling tab . To learn more, see Configure pooling.