The Calibrate Route tool updates measures of a selected route feature from two or more calibration points with measure values you type in a properties table. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane.
When you calibrate a route, consider the following:
- All points are assumed to fall on top of the selected route.
- You can calibrate whole or partial routes and interpolate the calibration points, extrapolate before or after the calibration points, or use any combination of these methods.
- To create a route from selected line features, use the Make Route tool .
To calibrate a route, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Modify in the Features group.
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Click the Calibrate Route tool in the Modify Features pane.
To find the tool, expand the Route category, or type Route in the Search text box.
- To preview the calibrated route on the map before you create it, check the Show Preview check box.
- Click the Select tool , and select the route feature.
If you select more than one feature, reselect the feature. Alternatively, click the feature in the pane selection view to flash it in the map, right-click and click Only Select This .
Hover over the selected route to dynamically display m-values and distances measured from the start of the route to the pointer location. For greater precision, enable the Point and Edge snapping agents.
- Click Add Calibration Points in the pane and click a minimum of two points sequentially along the route in a route-increasing or route-decreasing order.
The existing m-values appear in the properties table.
- Type the new m-values in the properties table in each corresponding control point field.
- Choose one of the following calibration methods in the Method section.
Recalculate the measures using the shortest path distance between the calibration points.
Recalculate the measures using the preexisting measure distance between the calibration points.
- Configure any combination of the following optional settings:
Interpolate between points
Interpolate the values between the calibration points.
Extrapolate at the beginning
Extrapolates before the calibration points.
Extrapolate at the end
Extrapolate after the calibration points.
Ignore spatial gaps
Measure values are recalculated as continuous for disjointed routes.
This option is only available with the Distance calibration method.
- Click Calibrate Route.