Available with Standard or Advanced license.
The Construct Polygons tool creates a polygon feature on a specified layer for each closed boundary formed by selected line and polygon features. A cluster tolerance determines whether the selected geometry forms a boundary. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane.
When you use this tool, consider the following:
- You can include existing features in the specified template layer for determining boundaries.
- The default x,y cluster tolerance is 0.001 meters or its equivalent in feature units. In most cases, this value creates the best results.
Increasing the cluster tolerance can potentially reduce the spatial accuracy of your results and distort the new polygons
To construct polygons from selected features, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon, click the Edit tab. In the Features group, click Modify .
- In the Modify Features pane, click Construct Polygons .
To find the tool, expand Construct, or type Construct Polygons in the Search text box.
- In the tool pane, click Select one or more features and select the features you want to use to construct new polygons.
To change the selection method, click the selection drop-down arrow.
To remove features from the selection in the pane selection view, right-click a feature and click Unselect , or click Only Select This to keep the feature and remove all others from the selection.
- Click the Template drop-down arrow and specify the layer on which to construct the polygons.
- If you need to change the cluster tolerance, click the Cluster Tolerance box and type the value.
- Check or uncheck the Use existing features in target check box.
Include existing features in the specified template layer for determining boundaries.
Construct polygons using only the boundaries of the selected features.
- Click Construct.