The Merge tool allows you to preserve overlapping m-aware line features and merge them as parts of a multipart m-aware feature, making it possible to create a complex route feature from two or more simple routes. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane.
It is important to have accurate measure values along routes, especially when the measures are used to tie in large amounts of event data. After creating a complex route by merging, you can calibrate the measure values using the Calibrate Route tool .
To create a complex route by merging m-aware line features, complete the following steps:
- If the route features do not exist, add them to your map or create the routes from existing line features using the Make Route tool .
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Modify in the Features group.
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Click the Merge tool in the Modify Features pane.
To find the tool, expand Construct, or type Merge in the Search text box.
- Click the Existing Feature tab in the tool pane.
- Click Select and select the features on the same layer you want to merge.
- Click the Layer drop-down arrow and choose a layer to narrow the selection to features on the same layer.
If all selected features are on the same layer, only one layer is available.
- To remove a feature from the selection, click the Delete button in the Features to merge section.
The selected features in the Features to merge section are identified by the display field layer property setting. If the field is null, the FID field value is shown.
- Check the Preserve overlapping segments check box.
- Edit the attribute values in the Merged Feature Attributes table.
- Click Merge.