This message is displayed in the Editing Status dialog box.
The layer or table cannot be edited for one of the following reasons:
- The layer or table is currently being edited or accessed by another application.
- The layer or table is read-only, or you don't have the necessary permissions to edit it.
Solutions include the following:
- Confirm that you or other team members are not editing this data in another session.
- Use File Explorer to grant yourself permission to write to the folder containing your data and to the files you want to edit—for example, the geodatabase, the files that comprise a shapefile, and so on. Generally, this occurs if the data was copied from other storage media such as a DVD or CD-ROM.
- If you are editing data from an enterprise geodatabase, ensure that the data is registered as versioned and you have write access to the version.