After creating a map series, the pages can be exported to various file formats for distribution. You can export each page as an individual file to any of the following file formats: JPEG, PDF, PNG, and TIFF. Additionally, all or some of the pages in the map series can be exported to a single, multipage PDF document.
To export all the map series pages to a different format, use Python map automation.
To export a map series, complete the following steps:
- Ensure that a layout view containing the map series is active.
- On the Share tab, in the Output group, click Export Layout to open the Export Layout pane.
Click the top half of the Export Layout split button to open the Export Layout pane directly, or click the bottom of the button to open a gallery of export presets and choose one. This opens the Export Layout pane with known settings applied.
- If necessary, change the File Type option to one that supports map series export: JPEG, PDF, PNG, or TIFF.
- Set the export path in the Name input box.
- Optionally, adjust the export options on the Properties tab.
- Optionally, go to the Map Series tab and change the page or file options for exporting the map series.
These options are described in detail below.
- Click the Export button to export the map series.
Map series page export options
Use the Pages buttons on the Map Series tab of the Export Layout pane to choose what map series pages are exported. By default all map series pages are included in the export; however, there are options to export only a subset of the pages. The following options are available:
- All—Export all the map series pages in the series. This is the default option.
- Current—Export only the map series page shown in the current layout view. The page number for this current page is reported in parentheses.
- Selected index features—Export only pages where the index features driving the spatial map series are selected. By default, exported map series do not include selection symbology in the PDF. The PDF displays index features as if they were not selected. In cases where you do want to show selected features using selection symbology, check Show selection symbology for index features.
- Selected pages—Export only the pages selected in the List Map Series Pages tab of the Contents pane.
- Page range—Export specified pages, either individually or by range. You can specify individual pages, ranges, or a combination. The pages are exported in the order you specify. For example, if you type 9, 5–7, 2, page 9 is exported first and page 2 is exported last.
The selected index features export option is only available for spatial map series as other map series types do not have index layers.
Map series file naming export options
Use the Files drop-down box on the Map Series tab of the Export pane to determine how the file generated for each page of a map series is named on export. The following options are available:
- Multiple Files (Page name as suffix)—Create one document per map series page where the page name is appended as a suffix to the file name specified for the export.
- Multiple Files (Page number as suffix)—Create one document per map series page where the page number is appended as a suffix to the file name specified for the export.
- Single File—Create one multipage PDF document with all map series pages. This is only available if the export type is PDF.