When using the Standard Label Engine, there are three label placement options for polygon features. By default, labels are placed horizontally.
- Always horizontal—Labels are placed horizontally at the best position relative to the feature.
- Always straight—Each label is placed so that it follows the longest direction of the polygon being labeled. If the Only place label inside polygon option is used or the longest direction of the polygon is horizontal, the label may be placed horizontally.
- Try horizontal first, then straight—The first attempt is to place the label horizontally, and if this is not possible, straight placement is attempted.
You can also choose whether to place each label only if it falls completely inside the polygon feature being labeled by using the Only place label inside polygon option.
- Ensure that the Standard Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure that List By Labeling is the active method of displaying the Contents pane. Click the List By Labeling tab .
- Choose a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- In the Labeling pane, click Position and click the Position tab .
- Specify the placement style to use and set its properties.