In the Manage Templates pane, the Group Template command creates a group template with the currently selected template as the primary template. After selecting a primary template and clicking the command, the template properties dialog box appears with default settings.
When you configure a group template, consider the following:
- The primary template determines the feature geometry you create using the pointer and the secondary (or component) templates that are available to the group.
- Each secondary (or component) template you add to a group template uses a configurable builder to create features relative to the primary feature geometry.
- You can change the primary template when you configure a group template.
When choosing a primary template, consider the interdependencies of the features. For example, a water service line feature might best function as a primary template and a hydrant point feature as the secondary template with a builder that generates the feature at the end of the line.
To create a group template, complete the following steps.
- On the ribbon, click the Edit tab. In the Manage Edits group, click Manage Templates .
Alternatively, click Manage Templates in the Create Features pane.
- In the Manage Templates pane, in the layers view, click the layer containing the feature template you want to use as the primary template.
If the feature template doesn't exist, create the feature template.
- On the toolbar, click the New drop-down arrow and click Group Template .
- On the Template Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
- In the Name field, type a name.
- To enter optional metadata that can be searched, click the corresponding fields described in the following table.
Field name Description
Type a description that documents the template.
Type a searchable word and press Enter. You can add one or more tags.
A tag for the template geometry type and Preset are automatically generated. To delete a tag, click the X next to the tag keyword.
- Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.