The Model File tool adds a multipatch feature to a scene from a template gallery of 3D models. If the gallery is empty, you can browse to a mode file and add it. This tool is available in the Create Features pane with feature templates for multipatch and 3D Object features layers.
When you use this tool, consider the following:
- You can specify the size, rotation, and position of the feature before adding it to a scene.
- To add a model to the template gallery, click Add and browse to the 3D model file.
- To import large 3D model files, use the Import 3D Files geoprocessing tool.
To add a multipatch feature from a template model gallery, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon Edit tab, click Create in the Features group.
The Create Features pane appears.
- In the Create Features pane, click the multipatch or 3D Object feature template.
To find a feature template containing a specific word or phrase, click the Search box and type your search criteria. Search is not case-sensitive.
- Click the Active Template arrow on the tool palette.
The tool palette for the active template appears in the pane.
- Click the Model File tool .
If the feature gallery is empty, click Add , browse to the 3D model file, and add the model to the template gallery.
The gallery appears in the pane with parameter settings and a preview for the first feature in the gallery.
- Click the thumbnail for the feature you are adding to the scene.
The model viewer displays the selected model.
- Click Full Extent on the model viewer to preview the entire feature in the model viewer.
- Expand the Size, Rotation, and Position parameter sections and type the applicable values. As you change these values, the model preview updates in the model viewer.
The units for size and position are defined by the coordinate system assigned to the scene. For example, if your scene is set to a coordinate system with units in U.S. survey feet, and your multipatch layer data source is in meters, the units in the pane are in U.S. survey feet.
To restore settings to the values saved with the feature template, click Reset
The feature height (Z), width (X), and depth (Y).
To scale the feature proportionately, click the vertical control bracket that connects the height, width and depth settings
The feature angle, tilt, and roll in 3D space.
The insertion point of the feature along its x-, y-, and z-axis.
Click 3D Axes on the model viewer toolbar and show the 3D axes symbol. The 3D axes symbol appears at the insertion point position.
- Click the scene to add the feature to the scene.
Alternatively, right-click and click Absolute X,Y,Z , or press the F6 to type a coordinate location.