The Point tool creates point and multipoint features. This tool is available in the Create Features pane with feature templates for point feature layers.
When you use this tool, consider the following:
- If the data source for the feature layer is a multipoint feature class, point features are added to the multipoint feature until you finish the feature.
- Z-aware point features are assigned z-values based on your current elevation settings.
- To add point features to a finished multipoint feature, use the Continue Feature tool .
To create point or multipoint features, complete the following steps:
- Add your data and configure settings for editing.
Confirm that the feature layer you are editing is editable, the coordinate system assigned to the active map is suitable for the type of edits you're performing, and snapping is configured to help you work efficiently and accurately.
- On the ribbon, click the Edit tab. In the Features group, click Create .
- In the Create Features pane, click a point feature template and click the Point tool .
- To override default attribute values, click the Active template button .
- Click the map to create a point feature.
Alternatively, right-click, click Absolute X,Y,Z and type the coordinate location.
If the data source for the feature layer is a multipoint feature class, point features are added to the multipoint feature until you finish the feature.
A multipoint feature stores collections of point features as a single feature with one set of attributes. They are commonly used to simplify large datasets and improve performance, for example, with lidar feature data. Multipoint features require a multipoint feature class.
- To finish the feature, click Finish , or press the F2 key.