When sharing a style, only valid symbols are included in the web style. All other style items are disregarded.
A symbol is considered valid if all of the following conditions are met:
- When sharing 2D styles, the symbol is a point, a line, a polygon, or text. All other style items are unsupported.
- When sharing 3D styles, the symbol is a point symbol that only contains 3D model marker symbol layers.
- The size of the symbol is less than 100 MB.
- The style item key of the symbol does not contain any special characters:
- / (forward slash)
- \ (backslash)
- : (colon)
- * (asterisk)
- ? (question mark)
- . (period)
- < (less than)
- > (greater than)
- | (vertical bar or pipe)
To share a style that contains dictionary symbology as a web style, the style must meet these requirements:
- No symbols in the style can contain 3D model marker symbol layers.
- The dictionary must be version 3.0.0 or later. See the dictionary renderer toolkit for more information about dictionary versions.
When sharing a style as a web style to ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 or later, a copy of the custom style is also shared to your portal as a desktop style item. This portal item contains all the style items of the custom style, even those not included in the web style. The desktop style item serves as a system of record for the source of the web style. It can be downloaded, updated in a project, and then reshared as a web style. The desktop style item can also be used in offline workflows in ArcGIS Runtime. For example, when you take a map offline containing a web style with dictionary symbology, the desktop style item corresponding to the web style is downloaded as a .stylx file and included in the offline map.
Styles that are created in and used in ArcMap, ArcScene, and ArcGlobe are also called desktop styles. These style files have a .style file extension and should not be confused with the ArcGIS Pro desktop style items mentioned here, which have a .stylx file extension.
If you will be using symbols from the web style in publicly accessible web scenes, set the sharing option to Everyone to share the web style with the public.
To see your web style in the Scene Viewer symbol gallery, it must be shared with the organization's style group. To configure your organization to display custom web styles in the Scene Viewer symbol gallery, see Configure map in the ArcGIS Enterprise help.
Share a custom web style
Any custom style can be shared as a web style; however, if the style does not contain valid symbols, sharing will fail.
- To share a web style, do one of the following:
- On the Share tab, in the Share As group, click the Share web style arrow and click a style.
- In the Catalog pane or a Catalog view, right-click a custom style and click Share as web style .
The Share As Web Style pane appears.
- Provide a name for the web style.
- Optionally, complete the Summary and Tags fields.
A summary and tags are required when sharing to an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 or earlier portal.
You can enter a maximum of 128 tags.
- For Style Type, specify the style type to be shared (either 2D or 3D).
When sharing a mobile style file (.stylx) with dictionary styles, the default Style Type setting is Dictionary.
Note:The 2D option is not available when sharing to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 portals and earlier.
- Use the Folder drop-down menu to specify where to store the web style in your portal content. By default, the web style is stored at the root level of your content. Optionally, click the Browse button to create a folder or choose an existing one. You can also type a name for your folder.
- Specify how the web style will be shared:
- Everyone—Share your content with the public. Anyone can access and see it.
- My Organization—Share your content with all authenticated users in the organization. This option is available when you are signed in with an organizational account.
- Groups—Share your content with groups to which you belong and their members.
Optionally, leave all options unchecked to set the sharing level to the owner of the item.
- Under Finish Sharing, click Analyze to check for problems.
Errors and warnings are listed on the Messages tab. Right-click a message to open its help topic or take corrective action in the software. Errors must be resolved before you can share the web style. Resolving warnings is recommended but not required.
- After you have resolved errors, and optionally resolved warnings, click Share .
- Optionally, click Jobs to monitor the job status.
- Once the web style has been successfully shared, click the Manage the web style link to manage the web style through your portal.
Considerations when sharing to older portals
Listed below are limitations when sharing web styles.
ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 and earlier
- A desktop style item will not be shared with the web style.
ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 and earlier
- The 2D Style Type option is not available.
ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 and earlier
- Web styles cannot be shared.