Many project items can be renamed as long as the item is writable and you have the appropriate credentials. You can rename items in the Catalog pane, catalog views, or browse dialog boxes using any of the following methods:
In the Catalog pane, the Contents pane of a catalog view, a catalog view, or a browse dialog box
In the Contents pane of a catalog view or a catalog view
Select an item. On the ribbon, on the Catalog tab, in the Organize group, click Rename .
On a browse dialog box
Select an item. Click the Organize drop-down arrow and click Rename .
The Rename geoprocessing tool may allow you to rename items that cannot be renamed using the methods listed above.
The effects of renaming an item depend on the item type, as described below. Different naming restrictions, such as permitted character length, may apply to different item types. When an item is renamed, the ArcGIS Pro index is updated with the new name (if the item is indexed). If there is a problem renaming an item, a message indicates that the operation was unsuccessful.
The following project items can be renamed:
- Maps, layouts, and reports—The name is updated in the project. In addition to the renaming options listed above, you can rename an active map, layout, or report in the item's layer properties.
- Tasks—The name is updated in the project. Tasks can only be renamed in the Task Designer pane.
- Folder connections—The folder on disk is renamed, and the folder connection name and path are updated in the project. You can also alias folder connections.
- Enterprise database connections, GIS Server connections, and OLE DB connections—The connection file stored on disk is renamed. If the item has been added to the project, its name and path are updated in the project.
- Cloud storage connections and BIM Cloud connections—The connection file stored on disk is renamed. If the item has been added to the project, its name and path are updated in the project.
- File geodatabases, mobile geodatabases, toolboxes (.atbx), legacy toolboxes (.tbx) and notebooks—The files on disk are renamed. If the item has been added to the project, its name and path are updated in the project.
The following items can also be renamed:
- Folders—The folder on disk is renamed, and the contents list in ArcGIS Pro is updated.
- Folder items—All files associated with the item on disk are renamed, and the contents list is updated.
- Database items—The name of the item, such as a table or feature class, is updated in the database, and the contents list is updated.
- Tools—The name of the item is updated in the toolbox, and the contents list is updated. Models and scripts do not have a Rename command available on their context menus; however, you can rename these items using other standard methods, such as selecting the item and pressing F2.
You can't rename projects in ArcGIS Pro. However, you can save a copy of the current project file (.aprx) to a new project file with the desired name.